Proceeds of Crime (POCA)
Top-Rated POCA & Confiscation Defence Direct Access Barrister KC [QC]
Top-Rated POCA & Confiscation Specialist Defence Barrister & Author, Adrian Eissa KC [formally QC] is acknowledged as a leader in this field.
The Proceeds of Crime Act 2002 (POCA) is a complicated piece of legislation which has been described by the most senior judges in the land as both “poorly drafted” and “draconian”.
Little wonder therefore that it is frequently misunderstood by practitioners and continues to give rise to a large number of appeals. It is therefore vital to instruct a genuine expert, preferably at the earliest stage of proceedings.
Specialist Proceeds of Crime Act & Confiscation Defence Barrister | Adrian Eissa KC
Proceedings under POCA can result in life-long and life changing consequences, some of which are now listed below as they apply to criminal confiscation:
- Up to 14 years imprisonment in addition to any sentence imposed for the offence which gave rise to the POCA proceedings
- A lifelong debt on which interest accrues
- The confiscation of legitimately acquired assets including the matrimonial home
- An assumption that all the assets and expenditure of a defendant in the six years prior to charge are the proceeds of crime
- Under s22, POCA applications made many years after the original order can increase the “available amount” that the defendant has to satisfy
- The risk to third parties such as spouses and business partners in so far as they may unjustly lose assets in which they have a beneficial interest
Leading Author on Confiscation & POCA Proceeds of Crime Act | Adrian Eissa Direct Access Defence KC
Adrian is widely regarded as one of the county’s best experts in this area, and is a published author of the following (as contributor or main author):
Civil Recovery in “The Proceeds of Crime” by Millington and Sutherland Williams 5th & 6th Ed (2018), Oxford University Press
Tainted Gifts in Case Commentary for Criminal Law Week (2019)
“Confiscation: A Practitioners Handbook” (2011), Bloomsbury Professional
He is one of the leading experts in this area and has encyclopaedic knowledge of POCA.
Chambers Legal Directory
A frequent choice of junior for the more difficult criminal cases and mixes complex fraud and POCA cases with general crime.
Adrian is calm, methodical and totally unflappable under pressure. A charming advocate whom juries like.
Legal 500 2022, Fraud Crime
Contact Top-Rated Direct Access Criminal Defence Barrister | Adrian Eissa KC
If you or a loved one would like an initial conversation about your case with one of the UK’s top-rated and most experienced and successful direct access criminal defence barristers, speak to my clerk, Daniel.